Frequently Asked Questions

Periodontal disease is an inflammatory disease that is common in companion animals as well as humans. It primarily affects the soft tissues in the mouth (gingivae or gums), but can involve the bony tissues that support the teeth in its more advanced stage. The disease appears as swollen, purplish-red gums that bleed spontaneously and are painful, particularly during chewing.

Periodontal disease is caused by bacterial toxins and metabolic by-products that irritate the gums causing inflammation. These bacterial toxins are typically released upon the death of the microorganisms within the dental plaque.

Periodontal disease begins with the accumulation of various bacteria on the surfaces of the teeth, forming dental plaque. Within 1-2 days, the plaque begins to calcify; forming tartar deposits that irritate the gums.

Continuous irritation of the gums causes gingivitis. Gums become reddened, slightly swollen and may bleed when brushed. As the condition becomes worse, periodontitis develops. This causes the gums to become puffy and purplish-red, and bleeding is common. Then, pockets around the teeth develop and the bones supporting the teeth begin to deteriorate, indicating periodontal disease.

Periodontal disease must be treated by a veterinarian. It involves a thorough dental cleaning to remove the build-up of dental plaque and tartar, the removal of diseased tissue and debris from periodontal pockets, and the use of antibiotics to control oral bacteria.

Regular removal of dental plaque prevents the development of tartar, gingivitis and periodontal disease. This may be accomplished by meticulously brushing the animal’s teeth on a regular basis (at least 3 times per week). Although this is the most effective way to prevent periodontal disease, few pet owners are willing or able to regularly brush their pet’s teeth.

Alternative ways to reduce the formation of dental plaque and tartar include:

- Dry diets, as opposed to moist/canned or semi-moist diets, which help remove plaque during chewing;

- Rawhide or other similar chew-type products that require significant chewing;

-Diets or treats that contain additives that have been clinically proven to reduce the formation of plaque and/or tartar.

Malic acid is a natural ingredient found in many fruits and vegetables including apples, oranges, grapefruit, lemons, watermelons, cherries, plums, grapes, and broccoli.

Yes, Malic Acid has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use as a food additive to a variety of foods for human consumption.

Malic acid is found in human foods, including various jams, processed fruits, candy, chewing gum, gelatins, puddings and fillings. It is even used to enhance the flavor of beverages such as sports drinks, fruit juices, and flavored soft drinks.

Malic acid combines with the calcium already present in dental plaque. Then, it prevents this calcium from forming tartar.

CPC is a commonly used antibacterial agent that kills bacteria by disrupting the cell wall of the bacteria.

Yes, CPC has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use as an antimicrobial agent in a variety of germicidal products used in hospitals.

CPC is used in many commercial mouthwashes including Scope, Micrin and Cepacol. As an ingredient of mouthwashes, CPC has been proven to significantly reduce the formation of dental plaque and gingivitis in humans. Our studies have shown that CPC also significantly improves “doggie breath.”

Sodium Tripolyphosphate is one of many phosphate compounds that are well-known and widely-used for reducing the formation of dental tartar.

Yes, Sodium Tripolyphospate has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use in toothpaste to reduce the formation of tartar.

Sodium Tripolyphosphate reduces tartar by forming soluble calcium complexes with the plaque. It has been clinically proven to reduce the formation of plaque in dogs and other animals.

No, Sodium Tripolyphosphate is not harmful when ingested. In fact, it provides an added dietary source of dietary phosphate when swallowed by animals.